Imagine you’re at an event and half the people there are perfect fits for your ideal client. The crowd is loud, there’s music playing, and you’re getting pulled in twenty different directions. You have a few small opportunities to connect with a few of the guests but luckily you planned ahead and you have fifty business cards on you. Success! During the last minutes you have at the party, you manage to hand them all out.
Most commonly, it will be your website that makes the first impression when someone is considering you. No, not your phone number, and not your email address — your website. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and ask yourself a few questions. Really do this. Close your eyes. Deep breath. Now re-open your eyes so you can keep reading this.
- Do you actually know what’s on your website?
- Do you really know what’s on your website? Really?
- How does your website compare to your competitors? Those business card holders don’t just have your card. If a potential client is looking you up, trust me, they are looking up other options.
- What does your website look like on your mobile device? Is it easy to find info? Pictures? Your phone number? Everyone is using their phone to look you up.
- Do you feel absolutely confident they will know the quality you offer, the pricing you offer, and the “amazing” you offer?
There’s a lot more we could make you ask yourself but you get the point. Your website is so important in 2020 and beyond. People are looking up your business who are potentially young enough to have no memory of there not being an Internet or touchscreen phones!
Our advice is to take the time. Take the time to invest in a living thing that is your website. Make it tell people exactly what you want in the way they want to receive it. Don’t expect reputation to carry you into the world of online leads, no matter how many Google reviews you’ve asked your family and friends to give you.
Your website is and should be your number one sales person. If it’s not, it’s okay — just take another one of those deep breaths and give us ring.